- Classification: Chemical Auxiliary Agent
- CAS No.: 9004-65-3
- Other Names: hypromellose
- MF: C3H7O*
- EINECS No.: 220-971-6
- Purity: more than 99%
- Place of Origin: Shanghai, China (Mainland)
- Type: Pharmaceutical Auxiliary
- Usage: Pharmaceutical Auxiliary
- Brand Name: Honest
- Model Number: HK HF HG HJ
- Viscosity: per your requirement
- Stability: reliable stability
- Standard: USP EP CP BP JP
Packaging & Delivery
|Packaging Details:||25kg/barrel ,7MT/20ft container|
|Delivery Detail:||usually within 15days(according to specific quantity)|
Variety of viscosity
Conform to USP BP EP JP per your requirement
1. Appearance HPMC is a white to light yellow powder or granular product.
2. Solubility HPMC is nearly insoluble in anhydrous ethanol, ethyl ether and acetone. It is swelled in cold water to form a transparent or a slight cloudy solution. HPMC can be dissolved into some organic solvents and also in water-organic solvent mixed solvents.
3. Fineness(Graininess)The oversize product above 100 mesh should not exceed 5.0%.
4. With reduction of methoxyl groups content, HPMC is increased in gelling temperature and decreased in water solubility and surface activity.
1. Resistance to salting out: HPMC is a nonionic cellulose ether and it is not a polyelectrolyte. The aqueous solution of HPMC is comparatively stable even in
2. the presence of metal salts or organic electrolytes. However, when the concentration of electrolytes exceeds a certain limit, gelation and precipitation may result.
3. Surface activity: An aqueous solution of HPMC has a high surface activity and functions as a protective colloid agent, emulsion stabilizer and dispersant.
4. Thermal gelation: An aqueous solution of HPMC will gel or precipitate when heated to a certain temperature, but it reverts to the original solution state on subsequent cooling. The temperature at which gelation or precipitation occur depends on the type of HPMC, its concentration and the rate of heating.
5. pH stability: The viscosity of an aqueous solution of HPMC is hardly affected by acid or alkali, and the product can develop an original viscosity in the range of 3.0~11.0. Therefore, the solution viscosity tends to keep stable during prolonged storage.
6. Water retention: HPMC is a high effective water retention agent. Its pharmaceutical grade product can be widely used in food, cosmetics and many other fields.
7. Film forming: HPMC provides a strong, flexible and transparent film having a good barrier property against oil and grease. In food application, this property is often utilized for water retention and oil adsorption.
8. Cohesiveness (Binding property): HPMC, as a high performance binder, can also be used for molding food and medicine.
Table 1. Specifications of HPMC
Methoxy content (%)
Hydroxypropyloxy content (%)
Loss on drying,%
Residue on ignition,%
Heavy metals, ppm
Viscosity(2% solution), mPa.s
In accordance with the viscosity specification as shown in table 2.
Note The viscosity can be adjusted according to the special requirements of the customers.
Purpose of Application
HPMC,a multipurpose additive for pharmaceutical, can be functioned as thickener, dispersant, emulsifier, film forming agent, etc. It is used in tablets for dressing and binding to improve solubility of the drugs and reinforce tablets’ water prevention function. It can also be utilized as mixed suspending agent, additive for eye drops, sustainedrelease agent, and so on. HPMC can be widely used in the fields of detergent and cosmetics industries as thickener and emulsion stabilizer to improve rheologic property.
HPMC can be directly applied to food not only as emulsifier, binder, thickener or stabilizer, but also as packing material.